Here are some Secrets and Rumors for your next trip at Disneyland and Disney World
– You can buy a very secret and exclusive souvenir if you know a special pass phrase. Go into any of the gift shops and ask for a “Mickey Mouse hat”, they will sell you a black beanie with Mickey ears attached!
– Say “I’ve got no stings” at Pinocchio’s Daring Journey and they will give you a miniature puppet the size of your thumb.
– You can also sit in the driver’s compartment of the monorail.
(On a side not, “yelling Andy’s coming” no longer works and you no longer get a “Death Certificate” from the haunted mansion )
Ask for the special tender seat on the Disneyland railroad.
Approach the conductor at Main Street Station and ask if you can ride it. Once the next train comes, you’ll be escorted past security to the front of the Tender where there is a special (albeit small) seat for two.
Go see the park bench where Walt Disney originally conceived of the idea of Disneyland.
In the foyer of “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln,” there is a park bench where Walt came up with the idea while watching his daughters play. This is the Griffith Park bench, and nearby is one of the actual carousel horses that his daughters used to ride.
If you ask nicely, you can ask to pilot the Mark Twain riverboat.
You’ll be directed to the wheelhouse, where you’ll be allowed to steer the boat (which is on a track) and blow the whistle. You’ll even get a special certificate afterwards.
When the park first opens, go to the Main Street Station and ask for a reservation to ride in the Lily Belle train car.
“This train car is named after Walt’s wife, who helped design it. It is lavishly decorated.” Can you believe they’d let a schmuck like you ride Lily Belle’s train car??
Ride in the purple teacup in the Mad Hatter ride — it spins the fastest.
The plain purple tea cup that spins the fastest, not the purple one with the designs
If you try on a hat in the Mad Hatter gift shop, you might glimpse the Cheshire Cat in the mirror.
There are two fun interactive things you should do at Indiana Jones.
(You have to wait for it to reset.)
1) Do the opposite of what the sign says and pull the bamboo pole. There will be a loud booming noise and it will seem as though the ceiling is caving in.
2) Do the opposite of what the sign says and pull the rope. It makes an unseen worker “fall” and voices will cry out from the well.
Listen for the hidden sounds.
• On the right side of Main Street, go into the alley where the ice cream stand is, and if you listen carefully, you can hear such conversation as a dentist drilling his patient.
• You can hear a voice paging an “Egroeg Sacul” in the queue for Star Tours, which is George Lucas spelled backwards.
• You can hear a voodoo lady above the restrooms that are near the New Orleans Square train station.
• Near the New Orleans train station, you can also hear the dot-dash-dot of a telegraph relaying in Morse code the opening lines of Disney’s speech at opening day of Disneyland. (source)
When you’re getting off the Jungle Cruise, ask a cast member for a free map.
It makes a great keepsake for a child.
If you touch the apple at Snow White’s Scary Adventures, the queen will laugh maniacally.
In one of the buildings in Fantasyland above the Snow White attraction, the Evil Queen appears in a window for only a few seconds every few minutes.
Disney World Secrets and Rumors
(FYI- Waking up Tink at Tink’s Treasure is gone.)
– If you go Board the Liberty Square Riverboat ask if you may join the Captain in the Wheelhouse for the trip. With his approval you’ll get to open a closed door and go through the Captain’s Room to stairs leading to the Wheelhouse. Something most don’t get to see. There you will pilot the Riverboat and get to blow the whistle. At the end you will also get an official Riverboat Co-Pilot’s license as a souvenir.
– The second floor window in the Hall of Presidents has the two lit lanterns in each corner. Those lanterns were placed by Paul Revere to announce “One if by land, two if by sea.”
– Everyday a few paintbrushes are hidden throughout Tom Sawyer Island. Each is covered in whitewash and reads, “Tom Sawyer Paintbrush . If you return it to the raft driver you may get a FastPass to Splash Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. (Not sure if you need just one or all 6. Rumor has it that this might have also stopped but that something might be taking it’s place.)
– Inside Sir Mickey’s gift shop in Fantasyland you will find Willie the Giant from Mickey and the Beanstalk. Look up and you will see him holding the roof and taking a look inside.
– When it’s time to see the fireworks they call “Wishes,” you might want to try from The California Grill. It’s at the top of the Contemporary Resort just outside the Magic Kingdom. When the fireworks start, the restaurant lowers the lights and plays the same music that’s at the park. (Only if you are there more than one day, otherwise they say there are less people behind the castle but you still get a great view.)
– You can get a little map at the handicapped entrance of the Jungle Cruise.
– Sit on the stone ledge on the side of the castle. Stitch will giggle and will tell you to be quiet because he’s hiding.
– Keep a good eye on the asteroids at Space mt. One of them is a chocolate chip cookie
More On Disney World
– Disney celebrates birthdays If you let the resort front desk know ahead of time, it’s rumored that some cool things might pop up in your hotel room that day, like balloons, autographed pictures of characters, etc… and you get a button
– Go to the statue of Cinderella in Fantasyland and kneel down to be the height of a child. The crown on the wall behind her looks like it’s on her head, to show that any of us can be royal.
– The sleeping beauty dress in castle couture behind the register changes from pink to blue to both like in the movie.
(This one is gross) – In the liberty square, there is a different colored cement in the middle of the road that represents where people would dump the excrement out their windows, since they didn’t have plumbing (also there are no bathrooms in liberty square as well, since again, no plumbing!)
– There is a tree in liberty square with 13 lanterns on it representing the original 13 colonies. There is a casting of the original liberty bell in liberty square as well.
– “Push” the talking Trash Can comes out from time to time around the entrance of tomorrowland (or in tomorrowland itself), he is really fun to interact with!
– In the shop that you come out of pirates, you can spot the coin from the first pirates film and the key to Davey Jones’ chest. The partners statue (for both parks) is mickey’s real height, the artist took the scale of Mickey with the conductor in Fantasia and used that against Walt’s height.
– On the back of the castle, the coat of arms is the Disney family coat of arms.
– People try to spread their relatives ashes on the Haunted Mansion, but if they do it, they have to shut down the ride and cm’s have to get it cleaned up.
– Magic Kingdom is actually on the 2nd floor, as there are tunnels that run throughout the 1st floor, with cafeterias, offices, laundry services (for costumes) and even a barber shop for cm’s.
– All of Walt Disney World property could fit San Fran inside of it, and only 1/3 of the property is even used.
Per Jessica Dalton
Don’t forget to add Epic Geekdom Magazine on