Here are some San Diego Events and Places to go look at lights around San Diego County…. Have a safe and fun holiday season
San Diego Bay Parade of Lights – 12/11 & 12/18
Although winter chill freezes lakes and creates natural ice skating rinks on the East Coast, here on the Best Coast we keep our water nice and warm for the holiday season. And not to worry, we bring in man-made rinks for skating fun at the beach. Discover a new side of holiday entertainment with the San Diego Bay Parade of Light, back for its 40th year on two dates, Sunday, December 11 and Sunday, December 18 from 5:30 to 9pm. Free for spectators, this annual tradition features a parade of boats bedazzled in holiday lights, cruising through San Diego Bay, as fireworks fill the sky. The parade route takes the bright boats past Seaport Village, the Star of India and west to Coronado. Recommended viewing areas are The Embarcadero at 6:30pm and the Coronado Ferry Landing at 7:30pm.
Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade – 12/22
Who says Halloween is the only holiday for dressing up? The Gaslamp Quarter Association hosts one of our favorite annual events, the Gaslamp Holiday Pet Parade, which is taking place on Sunday, December 11. Precious puppies are the star of the show; dress your doggie up as a festive Christmas tree, mischievous elf, playful dreidel or flirty Mrs. Claus and show off in style this holiday season. The parade starts on the corner of 4th Avenue and K Street at the Gaslamp Hilton Park, and the event will feature prizes for the best costumes as well as a Pet Expo and Pet Talent Show. Check-in begins at 1pm and the parade will take off through the Gaslamp Quarter starting at 3pm.
So You Wish You Could Skate at Hotel Del Coronado – 12/14
While ice skating is a fun holiday activity enjoyed by people of all ages and skill levels during the holiday season, we must not forget that it is a seriously competitive sport, too. Make-A-Wish San Diego is embracing the spirit of competition with a new holiday event, So You Wish You Could Skate, a playful amateur ice skating fundraiser to raise money to make children’s wishes come true just in time for the holidays. Many familiar faces will perform ice skating choreography on the ice before a live audience, and a lineup of local celebrity judges will decide who makes the cut. Judging will be based on costumes, music selection and entertainment value, which means we’re in for a great show. Confirmed ice skaters include DiscoverSD’s own Michelle Guerin and Nadav Wilf. The event takes place at Hotel Del Coronado, with a Wish Kid Welcome Program at 6pm and the ice skating show from 6:30 to 7:30pm.
Holiday of Lights at Del Mar Fairgrounds – 11/24 – 1/1
While driving through local neighborhoods in search of brilliant bright lights and elaborate holiday decorations is fun, there is an easier way to discover over-the-top illumination. Holiday of Lights at the Del Mar Fairgrounds is the largest drive-through light show on the entire West Coast, featuring more than 400 twinkling lights and lively animated holiday displays. Think Scream Zone, but instead of ghosts and goblins, you’ll find merry elves, witty reindeer and Santa Claus himself, enhanced with live holiday music and fire pits for roasting marshmallows. For an extra boost of holiday cheer, treat the family to an adventure on the Holiday Hayride. Holiday of Lights opens on Thanksgiving, November 24, and runs through Sunday, January 1, with the exception of a few blackout dates, and admission is priced at $14 per car of 5 people.
Per the UT
- San Diego Botanic Garden “Garden of Lights”. 125,000+ lights illuminate the Garden. Horse-drawn wagon rides, holiday crafts, visits with Santa, marshmallow roasting and more. Dec. 2-23 and 26-30, 5-9 pm. Adults, $10-$20, children 3-12, $5. 230 Quail Gardens Dr., Encinitas.
- 7607 Romeria St. The “Carlsbad Christmas• House” where it snows! Walk around to see Surfin’ Santa, Snoopy & Friends ice skating, Island of Misfit Toys, animals frolicking in the waterfall, animated window display, and more. Food drive donations accepted. Dec. 3-31, 5-10 pm (closed rain days).
- 6646 Elegant Tern Pl. Real Santa’s mailbox for the kids (Dec.1-23) and treats nightly. Santa writes back a free personalized letter to each child. Free community event Dec. 22 with crafts, bubbles, music, hot cocoa, fresh spun cotton candy and a visit from Santa. Dec. 1-26, 5:30-9:30 pm.
- 3520 Corte Ramon. 5th year of decorating with a different theme every year: Sponge Bob Sings, Olaf Sings, Santa Sings. Tune into FM 95.3. Dusk-10 pm.
OCEANSIDE, 92056, 92057
- Oceanside Harbor Parade of Lights. Boats decorated in holiday lights circle Oceanside Harbor. Dec. 9, 6-10 pm.
- 1615 Quiet Hills Dr. Lights synchronized to over 10 songs on 87.9 FM.
- 2329 Snead Dr. Lights, lights, lights, Santa arrives by hot air balloon, nativity scene, animated elves and Santa village light display. Walk up to see a Christmas scene in the garage. Dec. 5-31, 5:30-9 pm.
- The Forward House in Bankers Hill. Come by to experience the sights and sounds of the season• at 108 Ivy St. (1st & Ivy). Built in 1905 for SD Mayor John Forward Sr, adorned with lights every season since 1998. Nov. 23-Dec. 31, 5–10 pm.
- South Park’s Luminaria Season. Trees, lamp posts, roofs and courtyards all decorated with lights. Along 30th St. and Fern St. from Juniper to Grape to Beech. Nov.17-Jan. 1.
- Mission Bay Christmas Boat Parade of Lights. Over 100 vessels. Begins on Quivira Basin. Dec. 9, starts at 6 pm.
- SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration. SeaWorld is decked out with more than a million holiday lights and a 40-ft. tree with an animated light show. Also visit Rudolph’s Christmastown, check out holiday-themed animal shows and the all-new O Wondrous Night, a living nativity performed nightly under the stars, told through a different point of view: through the eyes of the animals. Nov. 18-Jan. 6.
SAN DIEGO BAY
- San Diego Bay Parade of Lights. 46th Anniversary. “Arrrgh. A Pirate’s Christmas” theme. Dec. 10 & 17, 5 pm. Starts off Shelter Island, goes through the harbor and ends at the Ferry Landing, Coronado.
- Sights and Sounds of Christmas. Walk the San Diego Temple grounds and enjoy more than 130,000 lights and nativity scenes. Free. Dec. 1-Jan. 1, 5-11 pm. San Diego Temple, 7474 Charmant Dr., UTC.
POINT LOMA, 92106
- Garrison St. & Chatsworth. Off Rosecrans. “Garrison Street Lights•”. Dec. 1-31. dusk-10 pm.
- Global Winter Wonderland. Hand-crafted, lighted traditional Chinese lanterns inspired by international landscapes around the world including the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower. The Circle of Lights event features Cirque de Soleil level acrobatics, 35+ carnival rides, holiday-themed activities, games, international food, shopping and more. Nov. 19-26, Dec. 1-3, 8-10, 15-27, 29-31, Jan. 1-2, 5-7. Adults, $22, ages 4-12, $19. Unlimited ride wristband, $36. SDCCU Stadium.
- Jungle Bells at the San Diego Zoo. The Zoo will be aglow with holiday cheer and activities to keep the whole family jolly. Seasonal decorations, animal experiences, costumed characters, live entertainment and more. Dec. 8-Jan. 1, 9 am-8 pm (until 5 pm Dec. 24). Free with Zoo admission.
- Lana Dr. & Jamar. Off Mt. Abernathy Ave. Circular street. “Clairemont Christmas Park”. 40+ homes decorated. Dec. 1-25.
- 5404 Mt. Burnham Dr. Features a 96-channel animated light display to 98.5 FM. North Pole village display, train and animated figures display in garage. Dec. 11-28, 6-10 pm.
- 5348 Channing St. Light display to music. Dec. 4-31, dusk-10pm.
MIRA MESA, 92126
- 8866 Cassioepia Way. Decorated house with a snowman theme. Dec. 10-31, dusk-10 pm.
- 11505 Elbert Ct. Decorated house with a Smurfs theme. Dec. 10-31, dusk-10 pm.
SCRIPPS RANCH, 92131
- Stonebridge Pkwy & Merritage Ct. Nicknamed “Merry-tage Court”, entire street lit up with themes including Star Wars, Minions, Cars and more. Dec. 1-31, 5:30-9:30 pm.
SERRA MESA/MISSION VALLEY, 92123
- 2002 Ainsley Rd. Features a 20 ft. snowman, multiple blow-ups and lights. Dec. 1-31, dusk-9 pm.
- 5306 Belardo Dr. Off Via Valarta at Via Playa De Cortes. Over 100,000 lights and decorations all sequenced and animated to music at 106.1 FM. Nov. 25-Dec. 27, 6-10 pm. belardolights.com
- 10927 Baroque Ln. A Winter wonderland with shooting star display, animated ski village, miniature village, snowmen and more. Dec. 8-29, 6-10 pm.
- 2434 Cypress Dr. 50 inflatables, lights, music and lighted yard decorations. Nov. 24-Dec. 31, 6:30-10pm. Thursdays, 7-10pm.
EL CAJON, 92020, 92021
- Jingle Bell Hill (also known as Pepper Dr. Lights). Solomon Ave./Pegeen Pl. and surrounding area. Off 67 & Bradley. Dec. 7-26, Mon-Th, 6-9 pm, Fri-Sun, 6-10 pm.
- 11456 Pegeen Pl. “Nightmare Before Christmas•” theme, complete with Jack, Sally, Zero, the Mayor & Oogie Boogie. Santa may make a surprise visit. Dec. 1-Jan. 1, Mon-Th, 6-9 pm and Fri-Sun, 6-10 pm.
- 1838 El Pico Dr. Off Hacienda Dr. 53rd year decorating the 20-ft. star that’s 100 ft. up overlooking El Cajon valley. Nov. 26-Dec. 31. Also experience a 55-ft.automated train and extensive automated yard decorations. Dec. 15-31, dusk-10 pm.
- 9777 Valley Ranch Rd. Cul-de-sac of lights programmed to 89.1 FM/87.9 FM. Giant dazzling trees, twinkling stars and a winter wonderland of computerized light and music shows. Nov. 25-Dec. 26, 5-10:30 pm.
- 1552 Cajon Greens Pl. Thousands of synchronized lights, yard decorations and music set to 97.7. Plus video of Santa delivering presents under the tree. Nov. 25-Jan. 2, Sun-Th, dusk-10 pm and Fri-Sat, dusk-midnight.
- 10248 Paseo Palmas Dr. 20+ houses nicknamed “Tinsel Town•.” Dec. 5-25, 5:30-9 pm.
- 13518 Appaloosa Dr. 48 channels of lights dancing to 88.1 FM. Dec. 1-31, 5-10 pm.
LA MESA, 91941, 91942
- 6266 De Camp Dr. 22-ft tree of light and more. Lights dance to Christmas songs. Dec. 1- 25, 5-9 pm.
- 7817 Quince St. House lit up. Donations for Humane Society accepted. Dec. 6-31, dusk-10 pm.
LEMON GROVE/LOMITA, 91945
- 689 Meadowbrook Dr. Off Jamacha Rd. South of Lemon Grove. Occasional sightings of Santa and Mrs. Claus. Dec. 8-Jan. 1, dusk-10 pm.
- 2618 Sheri Lane. Cul-de-sac turns into Santa Claus Lane. Computerized light show at 6:30 pm and every 30 minutes until 9pm on 89.9 FM. Dec. 1-25.
Starlight Circle/Sunburst Santee. Tomel Court, off Magnolia. 75 homes lit up in an easy to walk circle. Dec. 1-31, dusk-10 pm.
9325 Pebble Beach Dr. Full light display on home and yard set to music. Dec. 1-31, dusk-10 pm.
9435 Saint Andrews Dr. Santee’s gingerbread house with over 13,000 LED lights. Nov. 25-Jan. 1, dusk-10pm.
9773 Roe Dr. 30,000! computer controlled Christmas lights. Santa pictures on Dec.9 and Grinch pictures on Dec.16. Donations of non-perishable food/unwrapped presents accepted for Santee Santas and monetary donations for St.Jude’s. Dec. 2-31. 6-10 pm.
SPRING VALLEY, 91977
- 4037 N. Bonita St. Lots of lights, music, penguins, Snoopy, Mickey, Minnie and Santa in the window. Dec. 10-Jan. 5, dusk-11 pm.
- Hotel del Coronado Celebrate “A Winter of Whimsy, Wishes and Wonder” as America’s beachfront legend becomes a playful wonderland with pops of bright color at every turn against a backdrop of twinkling white lights. With the return of Skating by the Sea, The Del is truly a sight to behold with carolers, jingle s’mores, whimsical polar bears, lavish feasts and festive parties.
CHULA VISTA, 91910, 91911, 91914, 91915
- Whitney St./Mankato. Circle between First and Second Ave. off H St. & 1st Ave. “Christmas Circle.” 60th year of decorating 55+ homes. Dec. 9-26, 5-10 pm.
PARADISE HILLS, 92139
- 2160 Reo Dr. Lights and decorations. On Dec. 17 enjoy hot• cocoa, cookies and smores’ at fire pit.Nov. 23-Dec. 31, 6-12 pm.
CARMEL MOUNTAIN RANCH, 92128
- Fairway Village, east and west sides of Stoney Gate Pl. 80 homes decorated in “Holiday Magic•.” Dec. 16-Jan.1, 5:30-10:30 pm.
- 12631 Stoutwood St. Off Twin Peaks Rd. & Deerwood St. Nicknamed “The Griswolds.” Dec. 1-Jan. 1, 5:30-10 pm weekdays, 11 pm weekends.
- Hickory Ct.,Hickory St., Butterwood Ct., Rockrose Ct. All off Twin Peaks Rd. & Silverset St. named “Candy Cane Lane.” Entire cul-de-sacs are lit up. Dec. 10-24, 6-9 pm.
- 23542 Bassett Way. “Happy Lights Ramona” with 30,000+ lights animated to music on 106.9 FM using 996 computer channels to control the lights. Dec. 1-Jan. 1; Sun-Th, 5:30-10 pm; Fri & Sat, 5:30-11 pm.
RANCHO PEÑASQUITOS, 92129
- Oviedo St. Off Black Mountain Rd. “Christmas Card Lane•” Also enter off Twin Trails Dr. & Carmel Mountain Rd. Dec. 9-31, dusk-10 pm.
SAN MARCOS, 92069, 92078
- 145 Barham Dr. Festively decorated house with an electric train and snow machine. Nov. 26-Dec. 24, Sun-Th, 5:30-9 pm, Fri & Sat, 5:30-10 pm.
- 1639 Knob Hill. Off Nordahl Rd. Between Tam O’ Shanter Dr. & Augusta Dr. 30th year of decorating. 100,000+ lights plus themed displays. Nov. 23-Dec. 30, 5-9 pm. See Santa Dec. 16-23, 6:30-8 pm.
Remember to subscribe to Epic Geekdom : )
Remember to Like our Twitter and Facebook page : )
For more geeky — nerdy articles, pictures, animation and videos…. LIKE us on the following sites : )
Twitter — https://twitter.com/EpicGeekdom
Website – www.EpicGeekdom.com